How to Use Surveys
Setting up outbound surveys and reviewing the results of a survey.
Surveys automatically send out a list of questions via SMS, with the next question being sent after a contact responds to the previous question - Surveys are not a link that can be sent out. Surveys have the ability to save responses to a contact’s profile via custom field(s). A survey is initiated by a contact texting in a specific keyword or phrase or when an agent sends the survey shortcut.
Setting up a Survey
- In the Avochato menu on the left, go to Settings > Surveys (under “Texting Automation”)
- Scroll down to Create a New Survey and click on “+ New Survey”
- Add a keyword or phrase in the field “When someone texts the following Survey Activation Keyword.” When a contact messages this keyword or phrase in, it will start a survey. The incoming messages must match exactly, excluding case.
- If the keyword is “pricing”, then “pricing” or “Pricing” must be the only word in the incoming message.
- If the keyword is “I would like a quote”, then only “I would like a quote” will start the survey. “I would like a quote for your product” will not start the survey.
- “Click to Add a Question” and write your question. If you would like to save the responses in a field in a contact’s profile, fill in the field “(Optional) Key for Storing Result.” Example: if contacts are asked for their favorite ice cream flavor, the “Key for Storing Result” could be “Ice Cream Flavor” and could be used to find contacts with the same favorite ice cream flavor, or as a detail to look up when communicating with the customer. Note: if this isn’t a standard custom field, make sure to create a custom field to store the response.
- Repeat the previous step to add more questions to the Survey.
- After adding all of the questions for the Survey, there is an option to send a final message under “(Optional) ... then Avochato will send a Final Message.” This will be the last message and will not prompt or save any responses.
Note: If desired, add a tag that can be used to track contacts who responded to the survey under “(Optional) Auto-Tag the Contact.”
Advanced: add a webhook URL to receive the responses for the survey under “Avochato can send the survey results to a URL”. Note, adding a URL to a Google Sheet will not update with the results — it must be a webhook URL.
Other Features: If a Survey is not the best option for your automated workflow, try setting up a keyword instead.
Surveys can also be initiated by an outbound message from Avochato - send a survey’s shortcut to a contact and Avochato will automatically ask the first question. Surveys can be initiated by any Avochato message - try sending them in Broadcasts, Live Chats, Campaigns, and more!
Reviewing the results from a survey
Within a Survey’s summary, click on View Stats to view:
- A shortcut to all contacts tagged with the Survey’s tag
- Shortcuts to lists of contacts who received, responded, or did not respond to each question
- A Download Results button to have a link to a CSV of all survey responses emailed to you
Search by Tag
- Go to the Avochato inbox search field
- Search for the tag associated with the survey by typing in tag: “[insert tag name]”
- Alternatively, find a conversation with the tag and click on the tag to populate the search field
- Review all conversations with the tag.
Learn more about tags here.
If you are storing the survey results in standard or custom fields, you can export the results by downloading your contacts. You can export all of your contacts or export contacts based on tag. Here are the steps to do so by tag:
- Go to Settings > Tags
- Find the tag related to this Survey and click on it (this will filter contacts by this tag and navigate to the Contacts tag
- Click the check box on the top left then click “Select all contacts that match in Avochato”
- Click Download CSV
The list will download in your browser or be emailed to you, depending on the size of the file.